Originally published on Medium.
Sound strategy and effective execution are critical as companies develop. Unknowns and an urgency for progress require it.
Great startups meet these demands by having a key player on the team: a full stack operator. A full stack operator is someone who can execute across non-technical disciplines, from conception through implementation.
- They advance the startup’s substance, making an impact through strategy, UI/UX, marketing, community, policy, business development, and other non-technical disciplines.
- They deeply understand the company’s mission, allowing them to execute with little direction.
- They are thoughtful and perceptive, providing them with a holistic execution approach.
- They are bold, creative and tasteful, enabling them to produce ambitious and respected work.
- They have executional range, making them adept at spearheading business functions and strategic initiatives one day, and crafting copy and support emails the next.
- And they have competence and good judgment, permitting teammates to trust them and grant them autonomy.
Full stack operators are as vital to a startup’s success as their developer counterparts. Make sure you have one.